• A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Street Parties

Since the Royal Wedding in 2011 and the Diamond Jubilee in 2012 street parties have become an increasingly popular way of celebrating.  In addition, some charities have organised national street parties such as “The Big Lunch”.

The Big Lunch: If you want to hold a street party as part of The Big Lunch, you must apply to close your road. Road closure requests for Big Lunch street parties will be arranged free of charge. The document ‘Road Closure Guidance’ can be found in the Documents section on this page.

If you are looking to hold a street party it is recommended that you obtain advice on whether you require any form of licence from us.  As a general rule you will not require any form of licence if your event fits the following criteria:

  • for residents/neighbours only
  • no publicity outside the neighbourhood
  • entertainment is incidental to the gathering such as background music (i.e. the entertainment is not the prime attraction – e.g.. no advertisement of a disco/bands)
  • no sale of alcohol

If you are thinking of selling alcohol, providing entertainment other to that which is incidental and/or or selling tickets, then you can apply to us for a Temporary Event Notice. If the sale of alcohol is involved then the application will have to be made by a Personal Licence Holder. The fee for a Temporary Event Notice is £21.  There is further guidance in the Related Pages section.

The Department for Communities and Local Government has produced the document "Your Guide to Providing a Street Party or Fete" which contains other useful information.

Should you wish to close the street in order to set out tables etc., you may also require a road closure. Further information may be obtained from our Highways team. You can contact them on 0113 222 4407.

To view documents in PDF format you will require the free Download Adobe Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader

Did you find the information you were looking for?