W run a scheme through the 'Housing Options Service' to help people into private rented properties. If you are a landlord and wish to be on the scheme, we will inspect your property and provide you with a list of work required (if any) before advertising it to prospective tenants. Landlords wishing to join the private sector letting scheme should be existing members of the Leeds Landlord Accreditation Scheme (see 'Related pages' for LLAS details and how to join) or give a commitment to become a member of LLAS within 3 months from the date of joining the private sector letting scheme.
Benefits for property owners:
- Many of our tenants are looking for long-term tenancies;
- Officers at our 'Housing Options Service' will tell potential tenants about available properties and arrange viewings;
- Cover up to the equivalent of four week's rent is provided for the first six months of the tenancy;
- Officers will complete a housing benefit claim with the tenant requesting that payment is made directly to the landlord;
- Retention of full management rights/responsibilities by the owner during the tenancy;
- You are free to advertise your property elsewhere even after being accepted onto the scheme;
- If you are not satisfied with the proposed tenant then you don't have to accept them. Any tenancies are created for a minimum of six months AND only if both the landlord and tenant are satisfied with the arrangement;
- The process for possession is the same as for any other assured short hold tenancy.
We do not guarantee rents or pay for periods when the property is empty. We don’t guarantee that the property will be let through the scheme. However, there is significant demand for housing so there is customer interest in most property types in most areas of Leeds.
If you have a property and are interested in letting through the 'Private Sector Letting Scheme', please telephone us on (0113) 3950486 or use the 'Contact us' section on this page. Alternatively, you can fill in the 'Property Listing Request' form in the 'Documents' section if you wish to submit a property for inclusion in the scheme.