Premises licences
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Planning website unavailability

Public Access will be unavailable from 9am on Saturday 30 July to Monday 1 August due to essential upgrade work. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Premises licences

Licence summary

A premises licence issued under the Licensing Act 2003 allows a premises to sell alcohol, provide regulated entertainment or serve late night refreshment on commercial premises. You might also like to look at the page on Club Premises Certificates, especially if you are a registered club, such as a working men's club.

More information on premises licences can be found in the legislation Licensing Act 2003. Detailed information on the legal process that must be followed in order to apply for a premises licence can be found in the regulations.

However we have some guidance which may be easier to understand and which gives the details specific to Leeds. This can be found in the Documents section on this page.

In brief, applications must be sent to the licensing authority for the area where the premises are located. Applications must be in a specific format and be accompanied by the fee, a plan of the premises and a form of consent from the premises supervisor (for application where the sale of alcohol will be a licensable activity). Applicants will be required to advertise their application and to give notice of the application to any other period or responsible body, e.g. the local authority, chief police officer or fire and rescue authority.

If we receive representations objecting to the application we will arrange a hearing.  The outcome of this hearing could be that the licence be granted or granted subject to additional conditions. Licensable activities listed in the application can be excluded or the application can be rejected. The licensing authority will serve a notice of its decision on the applicant, any person who has made a relevant representation and the chief of police.

How to apply

If you would like to apply by post, you can download the forms and guidance from the Documents section of this page. You can complete the forms and post or email them to us. We can accept payment by cheque in the post, by card over the phone or by cash, card or cheque at our offices.

Apply online

There are two ways to apply online. You can use our partner site iApply which has easy to use applications for:

  • temporary event notices
  • application to vary the designated premises supervisor
  • applications to transfer the premises licence to another person or business
  • minor variation process for variations to an existing premises licence.

We think this is the easiest way to apply online, however there is a small card processing fee applied when you pay for your application.

Or if you don’t want to pay the card processing fee you can use

On occasion there are technical difficulties which result in applicants not being able to pay for their application online. If this happens the website will request that the application is submitted again. If you have any difficulties making payments using please contact us so that we can take payment over the phone. Please do not resubmit the application. We can confirm if we have received it when you call. If you are applying outside of office hours you can email us with a phone number and a convenient time and we will call you back. We strongly recommend that you call us after you have submitted your application to ensure we have received notification of it and that the application is complete.

Annual fee: Your licence needs to be renewed each year by paying the annual fee. See the Top Tasks section on this page to make the annual payment.

Will tacit consent apply?

Tacit consent means that after a specified amount of time you can assume your application has been granted.

Tacit consent applies if no relevant representations are made during the notice period.  The last day of the notice period is known as the 'last date for representations'. The application will be deemed granted after the last date for representation.

If relevant representation is made within the notice period tacit consent does not apply and a public hearing must be held to determine the application. The public hearing will be held within 20 working days after the last date for representation. The hearing date may be extended if the council considers it is in the public interest to do so.

Target completion period

For a new premises licence, variation or provisional statement:

  • If there are no representations to the application, the licence will be granted 29 days from the day the licensing authority received the application.
  • If there are representations the application will be heard by a licensing sub committee and a decision will be made at the hearing
For a variation to specify a new DPS and transfer applications:
  • If there are no representations to the application, the licence will be granted 14 days from the day the licensing authority received the application.
  • If there are representations, the application will go before a licensing sub-committee and a decision will be made at the hearing.


Please contact us in the first instance.

Any applicant, responsible authority or person making representation is able to appeal the licensing authority's decision to a Magistrates Court within 21 days of the notice of decision. Full details of how to appeal are provided with the decision notice.

Members of the public who are experiencing problems with licensed premises may wish to read Guidance on Problem Premises which is downloadable from the Documents section.

Public registers or databases

We hold public registers of premises licence application which can be accessed through the Public Access Portal in the External links section.

Trade associations

Association of Licensed Multiple Retailers (ALMR)

Broadcasting, Entertainment, Cinematograph and Theatre Union (BECTU)

Federation of Licensed Victuallers Associations (FLVA)

Institute of Entertainment and Arts Professionals (IEAP)

Responsible Authorities

As part of the application process for a premises licence or club premises certificate, applicants are required to send a copy of their application to the responsible authorities. In Leeds, the responsible authorities are:

  • West Yorkshire Police, Leeds District Licensing Office, Leeds District Headquarters, Elland Road, Leeds LS11 8BU
  • West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service, Service Delivery Centre, Fire Protection Department, Stanningly Road, Bramley, Leeds, LS12 3PL
  • Leeds City Council, Health and Environmental Action Service, Millshaw Office, Millshaw Park Way, Churwell, Leeds LS11 0LS
  • Leeds City Council, Health and Safety Team, Health and Environmental Action Service, Millshaw Office, Millshaw, Park Way, Churwell, Leeds LS11 0LS
  • Leeds Safeguarding Children's Board, Leeds City Council, 3rd Floor, 2 Great George Street, Leeds LS2 8BA
  • Leeds City Council, City Development, Planning Compliance Service, The Leonardo Building, 2 Rossington Street, Leeds LS2 8HD
  • West Yorkshire Trading Standards Service, Licensing Team, PO Box 5, Nepshaw Lane South, Leeds LS27 0QP
  • NHS Leeds, Tech North, 2nd Floor, 9 Harrogate Road, Chapel Allerton, Leeds LS7 3NB

In addition, the Health and Safety Executive are also a responsible authority.

  • Health and Safety Executive, The Lateral, 8 City Walk, Leeds, LS11 9AT

However, they will only need to be sent a copy of the application where Leeds City Council’s Environmental Health Service is not the enforcing authority under the Health and Safety at Work Act, e.g. premises of a crown body, a local authority, the police, a hospital, a school or a university. Please see the Health and Safety (Enforcing Authority) Regulations 1998, or contact the Health and Safety Team in Environmental Health Services for clarification – telephone (0113) 247 7791 or

Use of personal data

We are under a duty to protect the public funds we administer and may use the information you have provided in your application for the prevention and detection of fraud. We may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.​​​​​​

To view documents in PDF format you will require the free Download Adobe Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader

Did you find the information you were looking for?