To run a business selling pet animals you need a licence from us. This includes all commercial selling of pet animals, including pet shops and businesses selling animals over the internet.
Applicants for a pet shop licence must not be disqualified from keeping a pet shop.
The Pet Animals Act 1951 (Chapter 35) can be viewed using the External links section.
Application evaluation process
We must have regard to the following when considering an application for a pet shop licence:
- that animals will be kept in suitable accommodation, for example in regards to temperature, size, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness
- adequate food and drink will be provided to the animals and they will be visited at suitable intervals
- that any mammalian animals will not be sold too young
- that steps are taken to prevent disease spreading among the animals
- that adequate fire and emergency provisions are in place
We may attach conditions to the licence to ensure that the above are complied with.
How to apply
You can download an application form from the Documents section on this page. The cost of the licence is reviewed in April each year. If you think you need a licence and you would like further information or you would like to find out the cost of the licence, please contact us on 0113 395 1603 before applying.
You can also apply and pay for your licence as well as changing your existing licence on-line at GOV.UK. Links are available in the External links section on this page.
Will tacit consent apply?
No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within 28 days, please contact us using the contact details on this page.