Personal Licences
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Personal Licences

Personal Licence renewals

The Home Office have confirmed that the renewal process will be abolished in the Spring of 2015. For anyone whose personal licence expires before 1st July 2015, you may have to renew your licence. The Government has introduced a reduced application process which will only require you to fill in a very simple form and send it to us. You will have to send in your licence but we can accept a scanned copy if you want to apply electronically.

The form is available from the Documents section of this page.

You must renew no later than one month before your expiry date. For example, if your licence expires on 1st April, you must apply for your renewal by the 1st March. If you have any questions, please contact us on 0113 247 4095.

Licence Summary

A personal licence allows the holder to authorise the sale or supply of alcohol in a venue or property which has a premises licence. Personal licence holders can also authorise up to 50 temporary event notices in each calendar year subject to certain restrictions. Personal licences are not tied to a specific premises meaning holders of such licences can authorise sales of alcohol in any venue which have a premises licence, throughout England and Wales.

Someone who lives in the Leeds district who meets the required criteria can apply to us for a personal licence and the licence lasts for ten years.

Before you can apply for a new personal licence you must first attend a course to achieve the recognised licensing qualification. The aim of the qualification is to ensure that licence holders are aware of licensing law and the wider social responsibilities attached to the sale of alcohol.

There are two accredited qualifications under the Licensing Act 2003. These are as follows:

  • The British Institute of Innkeeping Level 2 National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders, (NCPLH) QCA Accreditation Number: 100/4866/2 and;
  • GOAL Level 2 Certificate for Personal Licence Holders, QCA Accreditation
    Number: 100/4865/0

Further information about the qualifications can be found on the British Institute of Innkeeping website -

As a rough guide the NCPLH course normally lasts one day and costs in the around £150-£200.

More information on personal licences can be found in the legislation Licensing Act 2003. Detailed information on the legal process can be found in the regulations.  However, we have some guidance which may be easier to understand and which gives the details specific to Leeds. This can be found in the Documents section on this page.

Application Process

To apply for a personal licence you need to fill out the forms downloadable from this page. You also need to provide two photographs of yourself one of which is endorsed as a true likeness along with the original or certified copy of your licensing qualification certificate. In addition you need to provide the results of a basic criminal convictions check. This should be no greater than one month old. Basic criminal record checks can be obtained from Disclosure Scotland. For further details call their helpline number 0870 609 6006 or visit their website.

The fee for a personal licence is £37. Cheques should be made payable to Leeds City Council. We can also accept payment by all major credit and debit cards at our St George House office. Please visit St George House, Great George Street, Leeds, LS1 3DL and report to our reception on the first floor.  We can also take payment over the phone.

Your completed application including the forms and accompanying documentation needs to be sent to us. Our details can be found in the guidance which can also be downloaded from the Documents section on this page.

Target Completion Period

If there are no representations to the application, the licence will be granted 29 days from the day the Licensing Authority received the application. If there are representations, the application will go before a licensing sub-committee and a decision will be made at the hearing.

Forms to download, print and post

Should you wish to apply by post or email you can download the forms from the Documents section on this page. However if you would like to apply by email please note that we will still need you to send the other documentation to us by post, or hand it in at our offices.

Change of name or address

If you are a personal licence holder and wish to inform us of your change of address, simply write to Entertainment Licensing, Leeds City Council, Civic Hall, Leeds, LS1 1UR with the details, enclose the fee of £10.50 and your current licence (both card and paper licence). 

If you wish to change your name because you have had a change of circumstance, the forward a copy of your marriage certificate, decree absolute or deed poll documentation and the fee of £10.50. Alternatively you can contact us through the Contact us email form on this page and we will call you to take payment over the phone.

Replacement licence

You can get a replacement card and paper licence by sending £10.50 to us along with the reason you need a replacement. If you think your licence has been stolen, you should report it to the Police.

Public Registers or databases

We hold public registers of premises licence applications which can be accessed through the Public Access Portal. We can also provide limited information on personal licence holders. Please contact us for further information.

Trade Associations

Association of Licensed Multiple Retailers (ALMR)

Broadcasting, Entertainment, Cinematograph and Theatre Union (BECTU)

Federation of Licensed Victuallers Associations (FLVA)

Use of Personal Data

We are under a duty to protect the public funds we administer and may use the information you provide on your application for the prevention and detection of fraud. We may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.​

To view documents in PDF format you will require the free Download Adobe Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader

Did you find the information you were looking for?