You would normally need a licence if you are a motor salvage operator.
A person is required to be registered as a motor salvage operator if he carries on a business which consists:
- wholly or partly in the recovery for re-use or sale of salvageable parts from motor vehicles and the subsequent sale or other disposal for scrap of the remainder of the vehicle concerned;
- wholly or mainly in the purchase of written off vehicles and their subsequent repair or re sale;
- wholly or mainly in the sale or purchase of motor vehicles which are to be the subject (whether immediately or on a subsequent re sale) of any of the activities mentioned in paragraphs 1. or 2.; or
- wholly or mainly in activities falling within paragraphs 2. or 3.
An application must be made in writing on the prescribed form for each applicant and the fee which iss et at £70. Each applicant will have to proviode two forms of identification, i.e. driving licence, passport etc. In addition each applicant will have to provide a basic disclosure which can be obtained from Disclosure Scotland.
The Motor Salvage Operators Regulations 2002
Vehicle Crime Act 2001
Application Evaluation Process
The local authority shall, on receipt of an application to be registered as a Motor Salvage Operator, satisfy itself that the applicant is a fit and proper person to carry on such a business. In deciding whether they are so satisfied the Local Authority shall have regard to:
- whether the applicant has been convicted of any offences under the Vehicle Crimes Act 2001; and
- whether the applicant has been convicted of any offences of a description specified by the Secretary of state by order.
Will Tacit Consent Apply?
Yes. This means you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the target completion period of 29 days from receipt of correctly completed application form.
Forms to download, print, post or email
Should you wish to apply by post, you can download the following forms from this page that you can complete and post or email to us:
- Motor Salvage Operators Application form
However you will still have to attend the office to present your proof of identification. Please contact us if this is not possible.
Please contact Leeds City Council in the first instance. We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.
Public Registers or databases
Leeds City Council does not hold a public register of Motor Salvage Operators online, but if you contact us we will be able to provide information over the phone.
- British Metals Recycling Association (BMRA)
- International Aluminium Institute
- International Lead Association
- Metal Bulletin
Use of Personal Data
We are under a duty to protect the public funds we administer, and to this end may use the information you provide on your application for the prevention and detection of fraud. We may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.