We must publish a statement of licensing policy under Section 5 of the Licensing Act 2003 in consultation with a wide range of people including representatives of existing licence holders, local businesses and local residents.
We are required to carry out our licensing functions with a view to promoting four licensing objectives which are:
- the prevention of crime and disorder
- public safety
- the prevention of public nuisance
- the protection of children from harm
The policy covers licensable activities as defined by the Act which are
- the retail sale of alcohol
- the supply of alcohol by or on behalf of a club
- the provision of regulated entertainment
- the provision of late night refreshment (between the hours of 23:00 and 05:00)
On this page you can download a copy of our 'Statement of Licensing Policy'. The policy was approved at a meeting of full Council on 15th January 2014. It is reviewed every five years, or more often if necessary. A copy of the policy can be found in the downloads section of this page.
The council has identified five area of the city that suffer from the cumulative impact caused by large numbers of licensed premises in that area and have specific policies in place to deal with this issue. Details of these policies can be found in the policy and supplementary information on the City Centre CIP can be found in the downloads section on this page.