The Gambling Act 2005 (the Act) changed the legislation governing the licensing of casinos significantly. Under the Act seventeen new casino licences were to be granted, each of which are to be significantly larger than existing casinos. The DCMS formed a special Casino Advisory Panel (CAP) to recommend where the new casinos should be located.
In April 2008 Parliament approved the eight small and eight large casinos in line with the CAPs original recommendations. Leeds was awarded the right to issue a large casino licence.
The council approved the following applications for provisional statements.
- Global Gaming Ventures Ltd, Eastgate Quarters, Eastgate, Leeds, LS2 7
- Grosvenor Casino Ltd, G Casino, Quarry Hill, Leeds, LS2
- Leeds United Football Club Ltd, West Stand Concourse, Elland Road, Leeds, LS11 0ES
- Rushbond Plc, Majestic, City Square, Leeds, LS1 2EF
- London Clubs Leeds Ltd, The Alea Casino, 4 The Boulevard, Clarence Dock, Leeds, LS10 1P2
The following application for a premises licence was withdrawn:
- London Clubs Leeds Ltd, The Alea Casino, 3 The Boulevard, Clarence Dock, Leeds, LS10 1P2
On 23rd January 2013 the council received a stage 1 application from Global Gaming Ventures Ltd, for the site known as Eastgate Quarters. This application was received after the closing date for stage 1 and the matter was considered by the Licensing Committee on the 12th February 2013. Licensing Committee decided not to use its discretion to accept a late application and therefore it was returned to the applicant unprocessed.
The council has now completed Stage 2 of the process. A Provisional Statement has been awarded to Global Gaming Ventures Ltd for the development at Eastgate.
Any correspondence regarding the casino process should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.