House to House Collection Permits
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

House to House Collection Permits

You need a permit from Leeds City Council to carry out house-to-house collections for charitable purposes for a period that exceeds 28 days in the Leeds area. If you wish to carry out house to house collections for a period of less than 28 days you can apply for a Certificate of Exemption from West Yorkshire Police.

More information on house to house collection can be found in the House to House Collections Act 1939 (PDF 80KB).

There is no charge for a house to house collection permit. However, once a permit has been issued, you will need to apply to The Stationery Office for copies of the prescribed Certificate of Authority and prescribed Badges (which you will need to supply to all your collectors). You can order these online. The ISBN number is 9780113407422.

There are no restrictions on the allocation of dates for house to house collections, nor on the length of the collection (provided it is less than one calendar year). Many collections are carried out by regional or national charitable organisations who often book their collections well in advance under the authority of a Home Office exemption.

After the collection has been held a return form, signed by an accountant, detailing the amount collected and any expenses incurred, needs to be submitted to the council within one month. The relevant return form will be sent when your permit is issued.

Leeds City Council does not hold a public register of House to House collections online but you can contact us


Click to expandApply for a new house to house collection permit

​​If you would like to apply for a house to house collection permit you will need to complete the application form (Word doc 118KB). The form is straightforward but we do have some guidance (PDF 109KB) and if you need help, please contact us. There is no fee.

Once you have finished your collection you will need to fill in the returns forms. There is a form for money (Word doc 51KB) and a form for other items (Word doc 53KB) such as clothes.

You can’t make your application online yet but you can send us completed applications forms by email to You can also post us your application to:

Leeds City Council
Entertainment Licensing
Civic Hall

Click to expandConsumer Protection


Should you have cause for complaint in relation to licensed premises, we would always recommend that you write to the business first. If that does not work please contact us and providing it is a matter covered by the legislation, we can investigate the complaint for you.​

Click to expandUse of Personal Data

​​We are under a duty to protect the public funds we administer and to this end may use the information you have provided in your application for the prevention and detection of fraud. We may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.​

To view documents in PDF format you will require the free Download Adobe Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader

Did you find the information you were looking for?