We are responsible for health and safety enforcement at around 18,000 commercial premises in Leeds. We deal with most non-industrial workplaces such as catering, wholesale and retail premises, consumer services, leisure & cultural sites, offices, religious premises, cosmetic treatment businesses and various other types of workplace.
Our role includes;
- Carrying out inspections of workplaces to promote good practice and make sure business keep to the health and safety law.
- Providing advice and guidance for employers so they can meet their health and safety obligations.
- Giving advice to employees, the self-employed and members of the public on work-related issues affecting health, safety and welfare.
- Investigating work-related accidents, certain dangerous incidents such as 'near misses' and cases of occupational ill health.
- Investigating complaints about working conditions and hazards in the workplace.
- Licensing and registration of skin piercing premises, reservoirs, Sunday trading activities and cooling towers.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE)
The HSE are responsible for health and safety enforcement at larger industries, such as factories, farms, hospitals and the railways. For more information on their work, you can visit their website. HSE’s regional office in Leeds can be contacted by telephone on 0113 283 4200.
HSE also produce a wide range of information and advice leaflets for businesses. You can get a full list of available HSE leaflets from their website.
Reporting an accident at work or work-related disease.
Employers must report incidents involving workplace death, major injury, “over seven day” injuries, dangerous occurrences and gas incidents. Further information, including how to report incidents, can also be found on the HSE website under RIDDOR.
We have developed a free booklet addressing health and safety at work and food hygiene issues for businesses in Leeds. If you would like a copy of the booklet please complete your details in the handbook request form link on this page and email it back to email@example.com Alternatively telephone 0113 247 7791 to request your copy.