Gambling Premises Licences
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Gambling Premises Licences

Licence summary

In order to operate any of the following businesses you need the correct licences which have been granted under the Gambling Act 2005. These include premises licences that have been granted by ourselves and a gambling operating licence that has been granted by the Gambling Commission.  Gambling Premises Licences can be issued for the following businesses:

  • Casinos
  • Bingo halls
  • Bookmakers
  • Amusement arcades
  • Race courses / sporting arenas (where betting takes place)

Before you can apply to us for any premises licences you must have applied to the Gambling Commission for the appropriate gambling operators licence. We have written some guidance on this which can be found in the downloads section of this page.  You should also check the Gambling Commission's website.

If you already have a premises licence issued by us then you will be able to carry out certain gambling activities subject to various types of conditions and the plan of your premises which is attached to the licence.

You can, at any time, make an application to vary your licence. This might be to add, change or remove a licensable activity, change a default condition, change a condition which was originally attached by us or change another part of the licence such as the plan.

How to apply

More information on premises licences can be found in the legislation:

However we have also provided some guidance which can be downloaded from the Downloads section on this page.  It gives certain information specific to Leeds and may be easier to understand.

When you submit your application to us you can either accept the default conditions (standard opening hours) for the class of premises licence you are applying for or you may apply to alter or exclude them. You will need to think about this option before applying.

Your application will need to include a scale plan of the premises and the correct fee.

Once we have received your application you will then need to advertise it both at the premises and in a local newspaper. You will also be required to send notices to a number of agencies (responsible authorities) to inform them of your application. There will be a 28 day notice period during which time interested parties such as local residents and businesses and the responsible authorities will be able to comment on your application. If objections are received and they meet the requirements of the Act then we will arrange for your application to be decided at a licensing sub-committee hearing. All of these items are explained in more detail in the attached guidance note.

The variation application process is similar to a new premises licence application and involves submitting the application form, plan, and fee to us. After you have submitted your application you will then be required to notify each of the responsible authorities about your application including the Gambling Commission and you will also have to advertise your application by displaying a notice on the premises as well as advertising the application in a local newspaper. If valid representations (objections) are made about your application during the 28 day notice period, then we will arrange a licensing sub-committee hearing to decide on your application.

Will tacit consent apply?

No.  The Gambling Act 2005 is not subject to the EU Services Directive and tacit consent does not apply. 

Target completion date

For new premises licence, variations, provisional statements:

  • If there are no representations to the application, the licence will be granted 29 days from the day the Licensing Authority received the application.
  • If there are representations the application will go before a Licensing Sub-Committee and a decision will be made at the hearing.

For transfer applications:

  • If there are no representations to the application, the licence will be granted 14 days from that day the Licensing Authority received the application.
  • If there are representations, the application will go before a Licensing Sub-Committee and a decision will be made at the hearing.

Forms to download, print and post

If you wish to apply simply download each of the documents available on this page to form a complete application pack.

Alternatively if you would like the documents sending to you in Microsoft Word format so you can fill them out electronically or you would like a hard copy of the application pack sending in the post please contact us and we will be happy to help.

We are not able to accept electronic applications under the Gambling Act 2005 as each application must bear a signature. 


Please contact Leeds City Council in the first instance.

Any applicant, responsible authority or person making representation is able to appeal the Licensing Authority’s decision to a Magistrate’s Court within 21 days of the notice of decision.  Full details of how to appeal are provided with the Decision Notice.

Members of the public who are experiencing problems with gambling licensed premises should contact Leeds City Council to lodge a complaint which will be investigated by Entertainment Licensing’s Enforcement Team, or will be directed to the appropriate body.

Public registers or databases

Leeds City Council holds public registers of premises licence applications which can be accessed through the Public Access Portal.

Trade associations

Use of personal data

Leeds City Council is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided on your application for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.

To view documents in PDF format you will require the free Download Adobe Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader

Did you find the information you were looking for?