Small Society Lotteries
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Small Society Lotteries

Lotteries and prize draws are an excellent way of raising money for charity at very little cost.

A raffle or prize draw where tickets are printed and sold in advance requires a small society lottery registration with the council. This is a straightforward process, requiring the completion of a form and the payment of fee. Organisers must complete a “lottery return” within three months of the draw which lays out how much money was raised, how much used for expenses and how much paid to the charity.

An incidental non-commercial lottery is a raffle where tickets are sold and drawn on the same day. This is the kind of raffle that uses cloakroom tickets and is usually held at an event such as a school fetes, or a quiz night. Prizes are often donated. Provided the raffle is drawn on the same day, it does not require a licence or a registration.

A tombola would be considered an incidental non-commercial lottery and does not need a registration, however organisers should be aware that children should not be allowed to play if alcohol is included in the prizes.​​

Click to expandRegister a small society lottery


If you would like to apply for a small society lottery registration you will need to complete the application form (Word doc 222KB). We have some guidance (PDF 61KB) on how to fill in the application, which includes how much it will cost and who to send your application to.

You can’t make your application online yet but you can send us completed applications forms by email to You can also pay by cheque by posting your application to:

Leeds City Council
Entertainment Licensing
Civic Hall

Click to expandSend in a return


To send in a return simply post it to us, with a note of the registration number. You can download a return form (Word doc 320KB) and email it to us but it will need to have two signatures on it so you will have to sign it and scan it before emailing.

Click to expandConsumer Protection


Should you have cause for complaint in relation to licensed premises, we would always recommend that you write to the business first. If that does not work please contact us and providing it is a matter covered by the legislation, we can investigate the complaint for you.​

Click to expandUse of Personal Data

​​We are under a duty to protect the public funds we administer and to this end may use the information you have provided in your application for the prevention and detection of fraud. We may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.​

To view documents in PDF format you will require the free Download Adobe Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader

Did you find the information you were looking for?