To run a boarding kennel or cattery, you need a licence from us. The number of dogs and cats that may be accommodated will be specified on the licence along with other specific conditions.
We may authorise one of our officers, a veterinary surgeon or practitioner to inspect licensed premises.
You must not be disqualified from any of the following at the time of your application:
- keeping an animal boarding establishment
- keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951
- keeping animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954
- owning, keeping, being involved in the keeping or being entitled to control or influence the keeping of animals, dealing in animals or transporting or being involved in the transportation of animals under the Animals Welfare Act 2006
- owning, keeping, dealing in or transporting animals under the Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006.
Please click on the link to the Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963 (chapter 43)
How to apply
You can download an application form from this page. The cost of the licence is reviewed in April each year. If you think you need a licence and you would like further information or you would like to find out the cost of the licence, please contact us on 0113 247 7791 before applying.
You can also apply and pay for your licence on-line by clicking the appropriate Business link as well as changing your existing licence.
Will tacit consent apply?
No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within 28 days, please contact us using the contact details on this page.